History of Dixon Park
This 2 hectare park was generously given to the people of Larne by the Right Hon. Sir Thomas Dixon, 2nd Baronet (1868 - 1950) and Lady Dixon D.B.E., J.P. for the benefit of Larne people and their future generations to use and enjoy.
They decided to ‘give some present to the town of Larne, and after
Weekly Telegraph 13 April 1935
The park was subsequently constructed by James Ferris Ltd. Contractors and officially opened and handed over to the Urban Council in April 1935 who undertook to manage and maintain the facility. The bequest comprised a children’s playground and park for general recreation with a bandstand added later. The war effort impacted on the fabric of the Park owing to the removal of elements of the bandstand, gates and surrounding fencing. For the last 70 years the Council has had continued responsibility for the Park and at various times introduced facilities such as public toilets and a football pitch. Unfortunately after many years of use these facilities have been removed due to the age deterioration and the need to fulfil health and safety requirements.
Larne Borough Council are currently working with the Dixon Park Residents Association on a development scheme to upgrade this Park.