Historically Ballyboley has been used by man since early times and there is still the remains of a "Boley House" in the south-west corner of the forest which was used when the cattle were brought up the hill for summer grazing.
Today it is a good example of multiple land-use with its large catchment area supplying water to the surrounding communities and the forest with its 666 hectares growing raw material for the saw mills. The forest was first planted in 1957 and is owned by the Forestry Service.
• Horse riding permits available from Forest Service, Dundonald House, Belfast Tel: 028 9052 4459
• Touring Caravan Site - permits available from Forest Service, Dundonald House, Belfast. Tel: 028 9052 4459
• Fishing - fly-fishing permits obtainable from Fisheries Division. Tel: 028 9025 8861
For further enquiries contact:
East District Forest Office
Castlewellan Forest Park
Telephone: 028 9064 7256 or 028 4377 8664