The Street Trading Act (Northern Ireland) 2001 enables district councils to regulate street trading by preventing undue nuisance, interference or inconvenience to people and traffic.
It applies to any person selling, exposing or offering anything for sale or supplying or offering to supply a service in a street or public place (whether or not in or from a stationary position).
A ‘street’ includes a road, footpath or public place to which the public has access without payment. Places enclosed by a wall or fence etc. within the curtilage of a dwelling or 10 metres or more away from any road or footpath are exempt from the licensing requirements.
The types of Street Trading are:
When trading is carried out from a fixed location at regular times and days (e.g. hot food van). The annual licence fee is £160.00
When trading from a vehicle which goes from place to place stopping for a time to trade (e.g. ice-cream van). The annual licence fee is £85.00
Trading at outdoor events for up to seven consecutive days. The licence fee is £90.00
Stationary licences may only be granted to trade from streets designated by the council. The current designated sites in the Larne Borough area are:
- Parking area between 20 & 22 Seacliff Road, Seacourt
- Carpark off Main Road, Glynn
- Coastguard Road adjacent to Harbour Roundabout
- Lay-by adjacent to 1 Olderfleet Road
- Bridge Street - area under flyover
Time restrictions may apply to individual sites.
To discuss any aspect of street trading or to provide details for inclusion on the waiting list for available pitches please contact us on 028 2827 2313
- EH - Temporary Street Trading Policy- 13/10/2011
- EH-Street Trading Application Form - Stationery & Mobile Traders- 25/05/2007
- EH-Street Trading Application Form - Temporary Traders- 25/05/2007
- EH-Street Trading Licence Fees- 25/05/2007