American Forces Plaque 1
Location: Kilwaughter Village Hall
During the First World War, wounded American officers were among those who found comfort at Kilwaughter Castle, then the home of a fellow American, Mrs. Elizabeth Galt Smith, who had married an Ulsterman. The Castle was also to be utilised during the Second World War, as were its grounds. The fact that the castle was the property of the Italian Balzani family resulted in it being declared enemy territory, and unfortunately in the years after the war the building greatly deteriorated.
The plaque at Kilwaughter Village Hall marks the connection between the area and the American forces stationed there. A large group of them were featured in a painting after attending Easter service in St. MacNissi's Church in 1944; sadly many were to die on the beaches of Normandy a short time after. The painting is still in the possession of St. MacNissi's Parish.