Larne Town Centre Regeneration- Masterplan Report
LARNE TOWN CENTRE REGENERATION – MASTERPLAN REPORT
Social Development Minister, Alex Attwood today launched the masterplan for the regeneration of Larne town centre on Wednesday 2 June.
The masterplan document sets out proposals for redeveloping three main areas of the town centre; the town core, the Waterfront area next to Larne Lagoon and Riverdale at the head of the town.
Some of the major developments which are envisaged include:
· Redevelopment of block to the east of Main Street and Cockle Row for mixed retail, office and residential use;
· A landmark building encompassing leisure facilities and a hotel to attract visitors at Riverdale, providing civic space access to Main Street;
· The creation of a new and distinct quarter in Dunluce Street and Point Street offering a mix of niche shops, leisure and café culture experience;
· Major road infrastructure changes to open up development sites on Circular Road leading to better use of the Waterfront area; and
· improvements to open public spaces, the creation of an events area and better public realm and streetscapes.
Alex Attwood said: “Larne is a gateway to the Antrim coast. The masterplan vision shows how Larne can take full advantage of its position and become a more vibrant and prosperous town. The plans are ambitious, but achievable if everyone can work together in partnership to take these plans forward to implementation. The work that has gone into the masterplan to date has demonstrated the levels of energy, commitment and passion that exist among the people who care about Larne’s development and I believe there is a bright future ahead. ”
The masterplan was commissioned by the Department for Social Development (DSD) in conjunction with Larne Borough Council and other public stakeholders.
Mayor of Larne, Councillor Bobby McKee MBE said:” We are extremely pleased to have a masterplan for our town centre. Larne Borough Council strongly supports this vision for the future and is looking forward to playing its part in helping to promote the opportunities available in our town and in delivering a number of key town centre regeneration projects. We are committed to working in partnership to ensure that the masterplan is used as a practical working document to help create an attractive place to live, work, and visit. ”
The masterplan was finalised following a period of public consultation on draft proposals with stakeholders which was completed earlier in the year. A vision of the future for Larne town centre and supporting strategies have been agreed and are articulated in an action plan of some 30 proposals which could take place over the next 15 years.
The Larne Masterplan is available for download using the link below:
Larne Master Plan 12Mb ZIP file
The zip file contains two PDF format documents.