Contact Us| Site Index| Access Keys| Text Only Standard View| Print




There are various grant schemes available offering anything from a brand new central heating system and insulation to programmers and thermostatic radiator valves.

Warmer Ways to Better Health      

The scheme is open to owner occupiers or tenants in private rented accommodation (NI Housing Executive and registered housing association tenants are not eligible) who meet one of the following:

There are two options available:

Option 1 - Central heating: only available to those with no central heating system, solid fuel heating or Economy 7.  Old oil boilers will only be replaced if a plumber’s report states that they are broken and beyond repair.

Option 2 – Cavity wall and loft insulation: these are treated as separate measures and applicants may obtain one or both depending on their requirements.

Further information is available from Sinead Kelly in Environmental Health Service, telephone 028 2827 2313 or by emailing  Applications are invited from May this year, if all places have been allocated you may wish to obtain further advice on alternatives you may be eligible for.

Warm Homes

Home-owners and private renters of any age in receipt of one of these benefits may be eligible to receive FREE Cavity Wall Insulation, Loft Insulation, HW cylinder jacket, Benefit Entitlement Check & Energy Advice.

Warm Homes Plus

Homeowners and private renters of any age in receipt of one of the underlined benefits may be eligible for installation of a free fully controlled energy-efficient oil or gas central heating system where no system currently exists (including where old boilers (15 years or older) have broken down beyond repair) or conversion of an existing LPG, solid fuel or Economy 7 to oil or natural gas. Solid wall insulation may also be available for old houses.

Stay Warm Saving Scheme

Help make your home more comfortable this winter by budgeting for your fill of oil with the Stay Warm Savings Scheme and make the most of your spend by keeping the heat in with proper insulation.

To start using the scheme go to your local retailer to get a card and buy your first £5 stamp.

You can then buy as many stamps as often as you want and when you need oil simply give the card to your supplier to pay or part-pay for your oil.

For more information about other grant schemes available, for a list of retailers for the Stay Warm Saving Scheme or to be referred onto any of the schemes mentioned in this leaflet contact:

Sinead Kelly, Energy Efficiency Advisor, Larne Borough Council, 028 2827 2313 or email

Boiler Replacement Allowance

The boiler replacement scheme runs from September this year, helping owner occupiers to improve the energy efficiency of their homes.

Criteria and amount payable

The scheme is open to owner occupiers whose household income is less than £40,000 and have an inefficient boiler of at least 15 years old.

The grant of up to £1,000 dependent on total gross income, is available to help with replacing an inefficient boiler with a more energy efficient condensing oil or gas boiler; switching from oil to gas; or switching to a wood pellet boiler.

The amount of grant payable will depend on total gross income. For those earning less than £20,000 the grant is £700 to replace the boiler but will rise to £1,000 if controls are also being installed.

For those earning over £20,000 but less than £40,000 the grant is £400 for the boiler but will rise to £500 if controls are installed.

Installer of your choice - Householders are free to use an installer of their choice as long as they are gas safe registered for gas installations.

Find out more - Those who think they may be eligible can call the telephone number below to find out more and check if they can apply.

0300 200 7874

Other Grants     

There are other grants and cash back schemes to make homes warmer, healthier and more energy efficient.

Bryson Trust Energy Efficiency.  You can contact them on 0800 1422 865 for more information.

Grants may also be available from the Northern Ireland Housing Executive.  Phone your local grants office on 03448 920 900 for details.

Alternatively visit the NIHE’s website on

If you would like to generate your own energy from renewable resources, financial incentives are available through various government funded programmes.  Details are available from the Energy Savings Trust.

The household programme covers:

• Solar photovoltaic
• Solar water heating
• Wind
• Small hydro
• Ground/water/air source heat pumps
• Bio energy


Related Pages

Back to top